FIRE DISASTER: Fire devours poultry feed unit

FIRE DISASTER: Fire devours poultry feed unit – Thank God no deaths – still no fire safety standards like fire hydrants and fire extinguishers ?!!

People look as smoke billows out of the poultry feed factory in Raninagar on Tuesday afternoon. (Biplab Basak) - Stephen Court disaster forgotten so soon ?!!

FROM THE TELEGRAPH CORRESPONDENT

Siliguri, Sept. 14: A poultry feed factory was razed to the ground in a fire on Raninagar Industrial Estate near Jalpaiguri this afternoon.

The blaze, which was doused by five fire engines after four hours of efforts, caused a loss of Rs 1 crore to Amrit Feeds Pvt Ltd.

Sources said some poultry feed sacks kept on the premises of the factory had caught fire around 12pm.

“I was going on an errand when I saw smoke billowing out of the estate. I ran to the spot and found the factory in flames with workers trying desperately to douse the fire,” said Robin Roy, a resident of Raninagar.

“Several local people joined them and within 20-25 minutes, fire engines from Jalpaiguri (7km away) reached the spot,” he added.

When the fire tenders became empty, jawans of the Border Security Force supplied water from their sector headquarters nearby.

The factory employs around 30 people and all of them could come out of the building before the fire spread.

“We have no idea how the fire broke out at the factory which is a no-smoking zone. None of us smoke inside,” said Anup Mukherjee, a pump operator at the unit. “All of us were busy with work when the fire began.”

The fire was put out by 4.30pm, although smoke continued to billow from the ashes. The flames did not, however, spread to other units on the industrial estate.

Another fire engine from Siliguri reached the spot late because of the bad condition of NH31D. Siliguri is 35km from the estate.

Pradip Sharma, the regional manager of Amrit Feeds, said the loss would be around Rs 1 crore and the cause of fire was yet to be detected.

Jayanta Kumar Roy, a fire officer, said: “We will conduct an inquiry to ascertain how the fire broke out. We suspect that short circuit caused the fire.”

Officials of the West Bengal Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation, which owns the estate, also visited the spot.

“We will check out whether appropriate fire protection measures were put in place at the unit,” said an official.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: