EDUCATION & CORRUPTION: NBU to shut IT centre for ‘inferior education’ – most sad due to inept Bengal mismanagement, time they pack their bags and leave, just like the British colonialists did 63 years ago ?!!
FROM THE TELEGRAPH CORRESPONDENT
Siliguri, Oct. 3: North Bengal University is going to wind up its Information Technology Centre once the remaining 19 students finish their courses in June next year, saying the private company with which the varsity had tied up is not providing quality education.
According to varsity sources, the centre was started in July 2002 in collaboration with the Techno India Group (TIG) to offer BBA, BCA and post graduate diploma in IT courses. But the centre stopped taking in new students in 2008.
NBU authorities said the decision to shut the centre had been taken two years back. “The TIG was already intimated about the decision. The varsity took the move because the private company was not providing adequate and efficient faculty and office staff to the centre. Moreover, the varsity has decided not to offer undergraduate courses on our campus any more. Anyway, students can pursue such courses at different colleges under the NBU,” said an NBU official.
A teacher at the centre said the varsity had asked the TIG to vacate the building where the classes were going on. “The exam results of BCA and BBA in all colleges under NBU, including our centre, had been very bad in 2008. The admissions to the courses were not taken that year. We thought that it was a temporary suspension but students were not admitted last year or in the current academic session,” said the faculty.
“However, we recently got to know that varsity had asked the TIG to vacate the building as early as possible since most of the students have passed out. But that is not possible because 19 students of BCA and BBA will finish their course only in June and they will have to attend classes and use facilities at the centre,” he added.
The 19 students pursuing BBA and BCA courses lost one year because they had failed in their exams.
While the varsity took care of the academic aspects like syllabus and exams, the TIG provided infrastructure and teachers to the centre.
Neither vice-chancellor, Arunabha Basumajumdar nor officials of the TIG could be contacted.
Rs 1-crore meal scam – the corrupt wealth wanna-bees that just can’t digest the truth that all their ill-gotten wealth will come back to haunt them someday soon ?!!
FROM THE TELEGRAPH CORRESPONDENT
Raiganj, Oct. 3: An officer at the block level and a data entry operator in North Dinajpur have been showcaused after a preliminary inquiry revealed their alleged role in a Rs 1.2 crore mid-day meal scam.
The joint BDO of Karandighi, Durjay Chakraborty, and data entry operator of the Swarna Jayanti Swarojgar Yojna Tapan Mondal were showcaused by the subdivisional officer of Islampur on Friday. They were told to reply within seven days why they had transferred Rs 6 lakh to the accounts of two self-help groups that did not prepare mid-day meal for a single day under the central scheme that aims to provide free nutrition to children and check dropouts in primary schools.
The SDO, Partho Ghosh, has also filed an FIR against Mondal who allegedly fled the area.
For the past two months, the SDO had been receiving complaints from various self-help groups, which said they were not being paid by the block administration that always turned them away on the pretext that there are no funds. Karandighi has around 1,300 such groups. Each block gets Rs 1-1.2 crore on an average in a financial year for the mid-day meal scheme.
Deputy magistrate Priyashankar Saha who had conducted the inquiry said in his report that Rs 6 lakh was sanctioned to the two self-help groups who had not cooked food for a single day. “It is not possible to get money credited to the account of these two self-help groups without active involvement of block-level officials,” an officer quoted the report as saying.
Joint BDO Chakraborty said: “The money had been sanctioned to the two self-help groups by mistake. I had admitted the mistake before to the deputy magistrate.”
According to sources in the subdivisional office, serving mid-day meals has come to a close in several schools because of lack of funds. The inquiry was started only after the groups lodged written complaints. District magistrate Sunil Dandapat said action would be taken against the joint BDO only after going through his reply to the show-cause notice.